- The Bribery Act 2010 came into force in the UK on 1 July 2011
- There are four recognised offences under the Act.
- Bribing another person.
- Being bribed.
- Bribing a foreign public official.
- Failure to prevent bribery.
- 'Failure to prevent bribery' is also known as the 'corporate offence'
- If the corporate offence is committed it is possible to put forward a defence to prosecution
- The defence to the corporate offence is based on six guiding principles which are: proportionate procedures, top level commitment, risk assessment, due diligence, communication and monitoring and review.